2023 Free Agency Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: 2023 Free Agency Thread

Post by specialsauce »

Gordon Love and Watanabe would be a home run

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:51 pm

He’s now my number 1 target
Come ta' Pappy

Signed

Pappy

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'll eat my hat if Eric Gordon signs with the Suns for the vet minimum.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Watch him sign with Denver.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

He really doesn't make sense for the Suns anyway. Of all things we need, a 2-guard who's best skill (maybe only skill now?) is spot up shooting is probably the least pressing at the moment.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I can't wait until he retires so we can end this decade long obsession with him. If he signs, great. But people act like he's been this missing piece for us the past 3 years.

JNix

Post by JNix »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:13 am
He really doesn't make sense for the Suns anyway. Of all things we need, a 2-guard who's best skill (maybe only skill now?) is spot up shooting is probably the least pressing at the moment.
I agree with you. At this point is there any major difference between EG and someone like Damion Lee? EG is better obviously and Id take him at a minimum deal, just dont think it would be this great signing.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Gordon is really good..think you guys are off. He’s an elite shooter and he’d be great. What we really lacked last year was someone the defense had to guard. You have to guard Gordon. It would be great if he was a better defender, but he’s decent. He can also attack a closeout and go to the rim. He’s not Lee. Anyways, I think it’s probably irrelevant. I imagine some contender will offer him the TPMLE or part of it to beat our offer.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Gordon shot around 42% as a Clipper last year. His career 3pt% is around 37%. He's getting old, but actually according to bball reference he's only 34; I thought he was like 37-38 ish. So that's good. I was worried we would load up on too many old dudes who couldn't stay on the court but it looks like he played 69/82 games last year.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... oer01.html
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Dunno if I agree with this. We had real trouble with our guard rotation last year. Right now for bench guards we have Payne, maybe Saben Lee, and that's about it. Did I forget anybody? Seems like a solid bench SG is definitely a need for us.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I can see both sides of this. From FF’s perspective, I think last year I wanted someone off the bench who could put up points in bunches, a Clarkson type, because our role players didn’t have primary scorer in their skill sets (TJ is more of a complementary scorer who feeds off others). This year, with three guys who can get a bucket any time who are also above average playmakers, barring significant injury, our bench focus might shift to guys that can defend and rebound at a very high level who aren’t completely ignored on the other end of the court.

On the pro-Gordon side tho, I do think he shows a bit more diversity in his game than just a spot up shooter. He’s comfortable rising from 5+ feet behind the three point line which is something we are missing from our current rotation, as well as has a helter skelter but bruising driving style that can put some pressure on the rim, which we also lack.

I think what I want most is the rim pressure element, which is why I’m personally high ish on Schroeder. He is also capable if not actually good at pressuring the ball handler with his length.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:28 am
Gordon is really good..think you guys are off. He’s an elite shooter and he’d be great. What we really lacked last year was someone the defense had to guard. You have to guard Gordon. It would be great if he was a better defender, but he’s decent. He can also attack a closeout and go to the rim. He’s not Lee. Anyways, I think it’s probably irrelevant. I imagine some contender will offer him the TPMLE or part of it to beat our offer.
+1 He’d be great for us. Another solid ball handler, instantly make the bench respectable and has a chance to be play important minutes, if that’s what he’s looking for due to KD and Beal’s injury history.

While I’m not sure of the odds he signs with us, I don’t think it’s as far fetch as some would think. It wouldn’t be surprising at all to me, Gordon is on the last part of his career, ring chasing could definitely play and important part. While Denver would be a good choice for him, he’d play a bigger role in Phoenix and plus Book, KD and Beal would make life so freaking easy for him.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:40 am
Watch him sign with Denver.

%#$$$£*+<>|+£\~##&&&&$!!!!!¡¡¡»…¿ :evil:

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:28 am
Damion Lee LMAO

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

With regards to guys like Watanabe, KBP, Stanley Johnson being rumored, I'd still like to some bulk added to the frontcourt. I'm concerned with us getting outmuscled, pushed around with slighter 6-8 220-225 guys added around KD.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:21 pm
I'll eat my hat if Eric Gordon signs with the Suns for the vet minimum.
I’ll go a month without discussing Ayton if Eric Gordon signs elsewhere.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Gambo was tweeting about Yute and Keita Bates-Diop as targets...get them and Schroeder, we'te set....

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

As to bulk, that's why I wondered about Bryant...

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:12 am
Gordon shot around 42% as a Clipper last year. His career 3pt% is around 37%. He's getting old, but actually according to bball reference he's only 34; I thought he was like 37-38 ish. So that's good. I was worried we would load up on too many old dudes who couldn't stay on the court but it looks like he played 69/82 games last year.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... oer01.html
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Dunno if I agree with this. We had real trouble with our guard rotation last year. Right now for bench guards we have Payne, maybe Saben Lee, and that's about it. Did I forget anybody? Seems like a solid bench SG is definitely a need for us.
Jordan Goodwin?

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:10 am
Gambo was tweeting about Yute and Keita Bates-Diop as targets...get them and Schroeder, we'te set....
Schroder would be the icing on the cake for me.

JNix

Post by JNix »

Feel like we're gonna need a lot more than Yuta, KBD and Shreoder to fill out this roster.