All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:00 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:35 am
He’s also somehow setting career lows in free throw rate(in fact only 9 guys in the nba have a lower rate and 6 are guards…3 forwards). He also has careers lows in field goal attempts, usage rate, and a career high in turnover rate. Plus barely above his career low in TS%

It’s a mixed bag for sure. But it does seem like he’s quite engaged on the defensive end at least…and the boards.
So it seems it was never about offensive opportunity to keep him engaged, and it's always been up to him to more consistently play hard.

Sounds like what a lot of us said for the two previous seasons when his super fans wanted to create every excuse possible for him when he loafed around.
So he would have played hard like this for a new coach like Vogel--is that what you're saying?

But the whole "feeding the big to keep him engaged" is a real thing. It's true for almost all big men, especially talented bigs and especially those with offensive talent. It's just the way they are. Just ask Shaq. And Vogel himself acknowledged it over the summer.

He's on a new team so it's the honeymoon phase. But they do need to start getting him the ball or else this level of defensive engagement will not continue long term.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

DA is not Shaq though…Gobert also complained about touches and wanted the ball, but he always stayed engaged defensively. DA is much closer to Rudy than he is Shaq.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

virtual9mm wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:31 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:35 am
He’s getting a lot of rebounds and steals…The rebounds should be sustainable…I doubt the steals are…but maybe he’s made a major shift in how he plays. His steal rate in Phoenix was 1.1…he’s at 3.7 right now. Seems like a sample size error, but we’ll see.

He’s also somehow setting career lows in free throw rate(in fact only 9 guys in the nba have a lower rate and 6 are guards…3 forwards). He also has careers lows in field goal attempts, usage rate, and a career high in turnover rate. Plus barely above his career low in TS%

It’s a mixed bag for sure. But it does seem like he’s quite engaged on the defensive end at least…and the boards.
Would have been the perfect Ayton for the Suns, in all honesty. Garbage man on offense, all nba defender.
He would have pouted on the Suns though. In a year or two, he'll revert to his previous two year ways for the Blazers too.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:09 pm
He's on a new team so it's the honeymoon phase. But they do need to start getting him the ball or else this level of defensive engagement will not continue long term.
We are in agreement here.

"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

It's pretty sad that Ayton never got an appreciation thread on here when he was traded. Shows how much Hayton there is.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:38 pm
It's pretty sad that Ayton never got an appreciation thread on here when he was traded. Shows how much Hayton there is.
You're right. He should have gotten one. The Finals year was special.

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't appreciate quitters.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JeremyG wrote:
That's true; even Jae Crowder got a goodbye appreciation thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2683

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:43 pm
I don't appreciate quitters.
Well, there's that. It's true it's hard to appreciate his contribution up to the Finals year without acknowledging the two years after that. Pretty sure that's why said thread never was made. Although there was nothing stopping Jeremy from making one. But I'm sure he knew the Hayters would have been out in full force.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:51 pm
JeremyG wrote:
That's true; even Jae Crowder got a goodbye appreciation thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2683
:lol: Yeah, a lot of action in that one.

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'd argue 200+ pages to discuss a role player is enough appreciation.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Eric Gordon just said on Burns & Gambo that Ayton was a big reason he joined Team Bahamas and that he wanted to help "get his [DA's] mind right before the season." He said he anticipated at least starting the season with him, but he could tell in the playoffs there was a "disconnect" between DA and the team.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:55 pm
I'd argue 200+ pages to discuss a role player is enough appreciation.
We shooting for 300 now 😤😤😤

Split T

Post by Split T »

This is All Things Ayton…appreciation is part of All Things, so we did have an appreciation thread.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

At this point I think it’s a good riddance thread.

Split T

Post by Split T »

It’s all the above, that was the point of the thread…At least it’s what became the point of the thread. We’ve probably discussed Ayton more than any player on this board.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:51 pm
This is All Things Ayton…appreciation is part of All Things, so we did have an appreciation thread.
Yep, there has been a TON of Ayton praise in this thread! Albeit mostly from a single poster. :P

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:03 pm
It’s all the above, that was the point of the thread…At least it’s what became the point of the thread. We’ve probably discussed Ayton more than any player on this board.
He's been the most polarizing figure in recent Suns' history. I believe mostly due to his draft position and salary.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

And the fact that his box score numbers can look good. A few advanced stats thought he was better than Booker…that invites a lot of discussion on what’s more important, a ball handler who creates shots for themselves(even if they are less efficient) and others, or the guy who just finishes shots created for him at a very high level.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

If Ayton made $15M per year I would think very differently of him, even if he’s still considered a bust because of where he was drafted