2024 Presidential race

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: 2024 Presidential race

Post by Mori Chu »

I basically agree with this. The 2024 election will basically be a vote about whether we want to continue being a free and democratic country. I think good will prevail, but that doesn't mean I'm not nervous.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Just finished the season ending Masked Singer episode with John Schneider and now I see this.

John Schneider Probe Opened By Secret Service After ‘Dukes Of Hazzard’ Star Urges Public Hanging Of Joe Biden
https://deadline.com/2023/12/john-schne ... 235680080/

TOO

Post by TOO »

It's a Fox show, they'll put anyone on that network.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This is a good answer from Nikki Haley about why Americans (Republicans!) should be more supportive of the US support for Ukraine.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Does she mean that Europeans have paid more than 3% of their defense budget? My understanding is that they don't have much of a defense budget, as the US provides most of their defense.

Also, Zelensky has said that US troops will be fighting in Ukraine, so I'm not sure how she thinks that they don't want it. They certainly aren't going to win it themselves, imo.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Republicans of the past would be the ones fighting to get funding for Ukraine against Russia. Today they stand for whatever Trump tells them to stand for and Trump seems to idolize Putin so…

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Republicans aren't a monolithic voting block of ideas and beliefs.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Smaller government, lower taxes, strong military, 2nd Amendment rights, Jesus, no abortions and Dems are commies. That’s the core isn’t it?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This is dumb but it made me laugh.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Those aren't two pillows!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LOL, this is so true. Republicans are so concerned about election security and voter fraud, but when only their people are voting for their guy, it's scraps of paper in popcorn buckets.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It's a caucus, Mori. Do you really think that they needed 7 degrees of security for it? And somehow you think this is hypocrisy at work. Sheesh. On top of that, it's now just another thing to call racist. Give me a break. These are probably small towns where everyone knows everyone else. It's been going on like this forever and they aren't worried about fraud, because they can see it totally transparently, counted multiple times. It's not rocket science.

Next, you're going to tell me that if you held a vote in classroom that you would follow 5 layers of security and make sure it's done on a machine where you could manipulate the vote? This is so silly, I can't believe that it's even being talked about. Do you think everyone from a small town is an uneducated rube? Do you think that their vote should even count, or are you disgusted that they are even allowed to vote? Tell us your honest opinion, because your post really points in that direction.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:34 am
Do you think everyone from a small town is an uneducated rube? Do you think that their vote should even count, or are you disgusted that they are even allowed to vote? Tell us your honest opinion, because your post really points in that direction.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The debates have been pretty inconsequential without Trump there. But there's no way he will ever show up for any of them. So I guess Nikki's done debating.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:42 pm
In2ition wrote:
Do you think everyone from a small town is an uneducated rube? Do you think that their vote should even count, or are you disgusted that they are even allowed to vote? Tell us your honest opinion, because your post really points in that direction.
Haha, everyone knows Wikipedia isn't a reputable site for a source. ;)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:43 pm
The debates have been pretty inconsequential without Trump there. But there's no way he will ever show up for any of them. So I guess Nikki's done debating.

Why should he debate? He thinks these opponents are beneath him and shouldn't even be in the race. So far, he's not wrong. There is no benefit for him to be in the debates. It only benefits his opponents. It's just like the DNC deciding to not have debates with RFK je and decided that Biden was their nomination and didn't need a primary. The debate with RFK would have only benefited RFK and most likely hurt Biden. Hence RFK changing to an Independent candidate.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think it is the same; incumbents don't usually get primaried nor hold debates. But Trump doesn't have to show up if he doesn't want to. Not implying that he should show up or that it's wrong of him not to show up. I'm just saying, what does Nikki gain by this statement? Trump wasn't going to show up either way, never would have, and she knows that.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Totally agree with you there.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:22 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Any time I want to find out about something I don’t know about, Wikipedia is my source. Is there anything Maga does find credible aside from random people posting on X?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:09 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:22 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Any time I want to find out about something I don’t know about, Wikipedia is my source. Is there anything Maga does find credible aside from random people posting on X?
I think you just have to make sure it has sirens.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."