2024 NBA Draft

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: 2024 NBA Draft

Post by Mori Chu »

It's kind of crazy that the NBA has advanced so much that even the centers coming out of the draft are showing off that they can hit ten 3s in a row. Imagine seeing this kind of tape in 1985 or something.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Just going on record to say that I love Reed Sheppard.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Here are what a few of the bigger Mock Drafts have us doing, including the pics before and after:

The Ringer
21 - New Orleans Pelicans - Carlton Carrington - Pittsburgh, Freshman

22 - Phoenix Suns - Yves Missi - Baylor, Freshman
The Suns need to find a center who’s better than Jusuf Nurkic and Drew Eubanks. Maybe it could be Missi, who has vertical athleticism and switchability.

23 - Milwaukee Bucks - Daron Holmes II - Dayton, Junior
ESPN
21. New Orleans Pelicans (via Milwaukee Bucks) - Yves Missi

22. Phoenix Suns - Bobi Klintman - Cairns
SF/PF

The Suns traded away most of their draft capital in the coming years to build a superteam anchored around Kevin Durant, Devin Booker and Bradley Beal, so this pick is a rare chance to inject the team with young talent on a cost-controlled rookie scale contract. Wing depth will likely be important for the Suns, especially with perimeter shooting and defensive versatility at a premium. Klintman, who is old enough at 21 to be expected to play a role in the short term, also has some intriguing ingredients to develop long-term with his size, range and defensive playmaking ability. -- Woo

23. Milwaukee Bucks (via New Orleans Pelicans) - Johnny Furphy - Kansas
Bleacher Report
21. New Orleans Pelicans (via Bucks): Tidjane Salaun

22. Phoenix Suns: Yves Missi
Yves Missi would give the Phoenix Suns a different looks from Jusuf Nurkić with how well he slides laterally and elevates above the rim.

His physical tools, athleticism and archetype are traditionally translatable to rim protection and finishing, though he also flashed some face-up scoring skill as the season went on, attacking his man in space.

23. Milwaukee Bucks (via Pelicans): Zach Edey
The Athletic
21. New Orleans Pelicans (via MIL)
Zach Edey | 7-4 center | 22 years old | Purdue

22. Phoenix Suns
Johnny Furphy | 6-9 wing | 19 years old | Kansas
Furphy has a lot of the attributes NBA teams seek when trying to identify projects worth a long-term investment. It’s hard to find wings with Furphy’s size and athleticism. He’s come a long way in just 18 months to even get to this point. His athleticism and shooting ability always made him an intriguing upside swing, but when he played at the Center of Excellence in Australia, he didn’t seem to know how to impact the game. He was up and down this past season at Kansas, but he clearly earned Bill Self’s trust, which is not particularly easy for freshmen to do. Still, he averaged nine points per game in total and only 8.6 points in 30 minutes per night with a 44.1 true shooting percentage over his final seven games.

Furphy is projected by scouts as a likely first-round pick, but I’ve placed him here in large part because there is little leaguewide belief in the Suns being the team to will be making this selection. Owner Mat Ishbia is clearly in win-now mode, and the team can package this pick with its 2031 first-rounder to get a player who can provide more immediate value. Additionally, team president and GM James Jones is not known to value the draft highly.

23. Milwaukee Bucks (via NOP)
Pacome Dadiet | 6-8 wing | 18 years old | Ratiopharm Ulm
Last edited by Shabazz on Mon May 13, 2024 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Debating how much energy I actually want to waste looking at prospects this year given the 90% likelihood that we move the pick.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 2:04 pm
Debating how much energy I actually want to waste looking at prospects this year given the 90% likelihood that we move the pick.
Yeah, I'm not gonna get my hopes up they wanna add young cheap talent when they can add old expensive talent instead.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I don' think Missi will fall to us, but I wouldn't be mad if he did. I haven't looked at Klintman before because I don't think Jones/Ishbia will draft someone who played internationally, but I do like what I just saw.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In2ition wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 12:29 pm
It's no surprise that I want Edey to fall to the Suns. We'll see if they even make the pick though.
Spoiler: show/hide
I think the NBA draft combine is almost entirely useless as an evaluation tool.

Measurements and interviews are probably the only valuable information. I'm not impressed by guys hitting shots at 1/4 speed without defenders.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 4:27 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 12:29 pm
It's no surprise that I want Edey to fall to the Suns. We'll see if they even make the pick though.
Spoiler: show/hide
I think the NBA draft combine is almost entirely useless as an evaluation tool.

Measurements and interviews are probably the only valuable information. I'm not impressed by guys hitting shots at 1/4 speed without defenders.
I never thought he is automatically now a 3 pt shooter, but there are things about it that I liked. I don't know if I would even have him take a 3 in a game in his rookie year, but he has a nice high release(Bird like) and he has good arc on his shot(Something that a couple young bigs from Phx didn't have in the past). The fact that he hit 10 in a row on the move while having all eyes on him at the combine was only a bonus.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

This is nonsense. Maybe there could be an uptick in attendance if he actually plays, but he wasn't good at USC and now he's suddenly going to get big minutes in the G-League?

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea I don't think he's gonna be packing GLeague arenas unless his dad shows up to watch.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 6:59 pm
This is nonsense. Maybe there could be an uptick in attendance if he actually plays, but he wasn't good at USC and now he's suddenly going to get big minutes in the G-League?

It’s total bonkers.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

They really think a below average basketball player is going to increase attendance because of who his father is? Makes no sense. You either have it or your don’t.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

At least Bronny’s got height going for him…

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 8:59 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 6:59 pm

It’s total bonkers.
1000% a “favor for access” comment from Woj to Klutch.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Really feels like this Bronny thing is going to go down in flames. Daddy is trying to force the league to take him and let him play, but he sure looks like he isn't an NBA-level player. And the carrot of getting Lebron with Bronny seems to be gone, too, since now Lebron is saying that isn't set in stone. I just don't see the appeal of taking that guy when you could draft an actual impact player instead.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The Heat fell for it with LBJ by drafting Shabazz Napier after LeBron tweeted about him during the tournament, then LeBron left to go back to Cleveland. LeBron was at the Cavs game last night, so now the rumors are the Cavs might try and get Bronny and LBJ will go back to Cleveland to finish out his career.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

ShelC wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 6:54 am
The Heat fell for it with LBJ by drafting Shabazz Napier after LeBron tweeted about him during the tournament, then LeBron left to go back to Cleveland. LeBron was at the Cavs game last night, so now the rumors are the Cavs might try and get Bronny and LBJ will go back to Cleveland to finish out his career.
So be it. That feels like a more natural conclusion to Lebron’s career and puts to bed all the hype. It just seems like things are getting worse every year with all the stunt media coverage and turning up the volume on all things dramatic. NBA is becoming a circus with they way it goes for content and engagement.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Bronny:LeBron :: Thanasis:Giannis

Even more Giannis nepotism:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/buck ... ague-team/

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

So, LeBron is being cryptic in his plans just to lure some gullible team to bite and draft Bronny, who isn't an NBA level player? In my opinion, he became a McDonald's All-American through some type of currying favor to LeBron. I never thought he was worthy of the status and I wasn't surprised at all to see his height getting exposed as to much shorter than previously reported.

I don't think that LeBron has any real interest in leaving LA at this point. I wouldn't think that drafting his son is a good plan of action, unless you don't care about wasting a pick. I'm sure there are some that feel that way, and unfortunately we might have a couple in the Suns org.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

The Decision 2
Coming Summer 2024!